Skip to main content

Open University

Get back on track - or take a class for fun!

Did you know you’re able to take classes at CSU Bakersfield without being a formal student? Our Open University allows prospective students and members of the community to register and attend classes prior to being admitted to the university.

If you’re an academically disqualified student, you too have the chance to take courses and meet the campus readmission requirements.

How To Register:

1. Choose the class on the myCSUB schedule

2. Attend first week of class

3. Complete an Open University Registration Form (main campus add slips will not be accepted)

4. Obtain instructor signature on the Open University Registration Form

5. Submit registration form and payment to the Extended Education office. A late fee of $25 will be assessed for registrations received after the date posted on the Open University academic calendar. Registrations without the approval of the Extended University Dean will not be accepted after designated date on the Open University academic calendar.

6. Refund policies can be found on the Extended Education Refund Policies page

Note: Regularly admitted students are not eligible to register through Open University

Open University Registration Form

At A Glance

Undergraduate Fees

$350 per unit

Graduate Fees

$400 per unit


CSUB Campus

Terms Offered

Fall, Spring, and Summer Terms

Admission Requirements

Interest in the course
Students must obtain instructor approval to register through Open University
Students must meet all course prerequisites

Open University Details

  • Course(s) will be recorded as an Open University course. A maximum of 24 semester units may be applied towards a Bachelor’s Degree. A maximum of 9 semester units may be applied towards a Master’s Degree.
  • Full tuition must be paid upon registration. Open University courses are not eligible for financial aid.
  • Registration will not be processed until regular matriculated students are registered.
  • Open University enrollees must meet individual course prerequisites. 
  • Extended Education and Global Outreach enrollments will generally not be certified for immigration purposes (I-20). At least 12 units must be taken in residence as an undergraduate or 10 units as a graduate student. An authorization letter from Admissions and Records is required for matriculated foreign students.
  • To take 6000-level courses in the School of Business and Public Administration, all students must be matriculated (admitted to the graduate program in the School of Business and Public Administration).

Take the first step! Complete the form below to receive more information about the Open University program at CSUB.