At A Glance
Credits100 hours of instruction
Average Completion Time4 months
Admission CyclesRolling Continuous
Train for a New Career as a Patient Care Technician
When you train with CSU Bakersfield Extended Education, you can be prepared for a successful career as a patient care technician in just 4 months. The Patient Care Technician with Externship program prepares you to assist doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals with the care of sick and injured patients. As the need for medical workers continues to grow, patient care technicians are becoming even more vital for an excellent healthcare experience. This career path offers many benefits:
- Growing demand - Employment for patient care technicians is expected to grow by 29% from 2016 to 2026, much faster than the average growth rate of 7% for all other jobs.
- Financial Security – Depending on where you live and where you work, patient care technicians earn anywhere from $24,000 to $34,000 annually, with a national average of $31,500.
- Helping people – You will be on the front lines of medical care, assisting patients with everything from bathing and feeding to collecting specimens and performing EKGs.
What You'll Learn:
- Certification Preparation – The coursework will leave you fully prepared to take one of three national certification exams: Certified Patient Care Technician/Assistant (CPCT/A) from the NHA, NCPCT (Patient Care Technician), from the NCCT, or the AMCA’s Patient Care Technician certification
- Quick completion timeline – This flexible, online program is designed for you to get in, get out, and get working in as little as 4 months.
- Included Externship – You will gain hands-on experience in a clinical setting where you will be able to put your course learning into practice, preparing you to jump straight into the workforce.
To apply to the Patient Care Technician with Externship at CSU Bakersfield, in partnership with CareerStep, complete the following steps:
- Navigate to the CSUB/CareerStep website
- Click the ENROLL ONLINE button
- Continue to CHECKOUT
- Fill in required fields
- Complete payment information or make payment arrangements
Need help enrolling? Call (888) 657-5752
Be at least 18 years of age
Meet one of the following requirements:
High school diploma
General Education Development (GED) Certificate
Pass the Career Step Pre-Enrollment Assessment Test
The Patient Care Technician with Externship Externship costs $3,499.
We understand that one of the biggest concerns tied to furthering your education is how to pay for it. To help, CSU Bakersfield and Career Step offer low tuition prices that provide big payoffs. We've also designed multiple tuition payment plans, allowing you to choose the funding option that best fits your needs.
We currently offer:
- A discount when you choose to pay your tuition in a single payment
- An interest-free, 3-month payment plan
- A low interest, 12-month payment plan
For more information on tuition and funding options, please contact us at (877) 225-7151.
Note: Program is not eligible for FAFSA-based financial aid.
The Patient Care Technician with Externship Program includes the following topics / modules:
- Medical Terminology, Anatomy, and Physiology
- Healthcare and the Role of the Patient Care
- Professionalism, Work Ethic, and Communicating with the Healthcare Team
- Body Structure, Function/Growth, and Development
- Understanding the Patient; Patient Psychology; and Patient Rights, Ethics, and Laws
- Assisting with the Physical Examination
- Measuring and Recording Vital Signs
- Assisting with Admission and Discharge, Pain Management, Comfort, Rest, and Sleep
- Assisting with Grooming, Hygiene, Nutrition, Fluids, and Bed Making
- Assisting with Urinary Elimination, Bowel Elimination, and Oxygen Needs
The Patient Care Technician with Externship Program is completely online and provided by our partner, CareerStep. Once you are registered with CareerStep, your password and access information will be emailed to you. Through the CareerStep portal you will have access to:
- Homework assignments
- Quizzes / tests
- Technical support
- Discussion boards
- One-on-one help from instructors
- Additional resources