Train for a New Career as a Patient Care Technician
When you train with CSU Bakersfield Extended Education, you can be prepared for a successful career as a patient care technician in just 4 months. The Patient Care Technician with Externship program prepares you to assist doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals with the care of sick and injured patients. As the need for medical workers continues to grow, patient care technicians are becoming even more vital for an excellent healthcare experience. This career path offers many benefits:
- Growing demand - Employment for patient care technicians is expected to grow by 29% from 2016 to 2026, much faster than the average growth rate of 7% for all other jobs.
- Financial Security – Depending on where you live and where you work, patient care technicians earn anywhere from $24,000 to $34,000 annually, with a national average of $31,500.
- Helping people – You will be on the front lines of medical care, assisting patients with everything from bathing and feeding to collecting specimens and performing EKGs.
What You'll Learn:
- Certification Preparation – The coursework will leave you fully prepared to take one of three national certification exams: Certified Patient Care Technician/Assistant (CPCT/A) from the NHA, NCPCT (Patient Care Technician), from the NCCT, or the AMCA’s Patient Care Technician certification
- Quick completion timeline – This flexible, online program is designed for you to get in, get out, and get working in as little as 4 months.
- Included Externship – You will gain hands-on experience in a clinical setting where you will be able to put your course learning into practice, preparing you to jump straight into the workforce.
At A Glance
Credits100 hours of instruction
Average Completion Time12 months
Admission CycleRolling Continuous
How to Enroll
To enroll in the Patient Care Technician with Externship at CSU Bakersfield, in partnership with CareerStep, complete the following steps:
- Navigate to the CSUB/CareerStep website
- Click the ENROLL ONLINE button
- Continue to CHECKOUT
- Fill in required fields
- Complete payment information or make payment arrangements
Need help enrolling? Call (888) 657-5752
Get Started Today
Take the first step! Complete the form below to receive more information about the Patient Care Technician with Externship program at CSUB.