Train for a New Career as a Medical Assistant and Make a Difference
When you train with CSU Bakersfield Extended Education, you can be prepared for a successful career as a medical assistant in just 4 months. The healthcare industry is growing rapidly and the U.S. Department of Labor estimates that the medical assistant field will grow by 29%, or over 184,000 jobs, by 2026.* The medical assistant career path offers several benefits.
Become a Medical Assistant for:
- Helping people – You can work in a field that focuses on helping people and making a difference with their health every day.
- Competitive salaries and benefits – Medical assistants enjoy competitive salaries as well as the potential for traditional employment benefits.
- Top 20 best jobs – A job as a medical assistant ranks number 18 in best healthcare support jobs in the U.S.
What you'll learn
- Certification preparation – CareerStep’s Medical Assistant program prepares you to take the Certified Clinical Medical Assistant(CCMA) Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT), and Certified EKG Technician (CET) industry certification exams offered through the National Healthcareer Association (NHA).
- Comprehensive support – CareerStep offers you the flexibility of online training in addition to the assurance of experienced, one-on-one support.
- Access to Career Advisors – After completing your course, Career Advisors are available to help you turn your training into a career by providing resume help, interview advice and job search tips.
- A 130-hour Clinical Externship, which covers patient care, medical office administration, phlebotomy, and EKG is included with the course.
To apply to the Medical Assistant with Externship at CSU Bakersfield, in partnership with CareerStep, complete the following steps:
- Navigate to the CSUB/CareerStep website
- Click the ENROLL ONLINE button
- Continue to CHECKOUT
- Fill in required fields
- Complete payment information or make payment arrangements
Need help enrolling? Call (888) 657-5752
Be at least 18 years of age
Meet one of the following requirements:
High school diploma
General Education Development (GED) Certificate
Pass the Career Step Pre-Enrollment Assessment Test
The Medical Assistant with Externship costs $3,999.
We understand that one of the biggest concerns tied to furthering your education is how to pay for it. To help, CSU Bakersfield and Career Step offer low tuition prices that provide big payoffs. We've also designed multiple tuition payment plans, allowing you to choose the funding option that best fits your needs.
We currently offer:
- A discount when you choose to pay your tuition in a single payment
- An interest-free, 3-month payment plan
- A low interest, 12-month payment plan
For more information on tuition and funding options, please contact us at (877) 225-7151.
Note: Program is not eligible for FAFSA-based financial aid.
The Medical Assistant program includes the following topics / modules:
- Program Modules and
- Approximate Completion Hours
- Module Hours
- Getting Started & Program Overview 1
- Microsoft Office Training Orientation 1
- Word 2016: Beginner 10
- Excel: Beginner 12
- Medical Administrative Assistant Career and
- Certification 3
- Computer Fundamentals 7
- Grammar and Punctuation 10
- Healthcare Structure and Organization 25
- Medical Law and Ethics 5
- Healthcare Documentation 10
- Exploring Healthcare Reimbursement 25
- Medical Word Building 15
- Basic Anatomy 20
- Mastering Medical Language 23
- Medical Office Procedures 20
- Medical Office Management 12
- Practice Finances 10
- Foundational Science 60
- Patient Advocacy 25
- Routine Patient Care 79
- Clinical Patient Care 66
- Phlebotomy 39
- EKG Testing 13
- Final Exam Preparation 1
- Externship (Optional) 130
The Medical Assistant with Externship is completely online and provided by our partner, CareerStep. Once you are registered with CareerStep, your password and access information will be emailed to you. Through the CareerStep portal you will have access to:
- Homework assignments
- Quizzes / tests
- Technical support
- Discussion boards
- One-on-one help from instructors
- Additional resources