At A Glance
Credits80 hours of instruction
Average Completion Time2 months
Admission CyclesRolling Continuous
Medical Scribes aren’t on the frontlines of healthcare, which is good for those who prefer a little more predictability in their daily routines. They generally work behind the scenes - sometimes from the comfort of their own home - listening to dictations and converting them into written documents.
Here is a breakdown of a Medical Scribe’s responsibilities:
- Listening to the recorded dictation of a doctor or other healthcare worker.
- Interpreting and transcribing dictation into patient history, exam notes, and other documents.
- Reviewing and editing drafts prepared by speech recognition software.
- Translating medical abbreviations and jargon into the appropriate long form.
- Following up with the healthcare provider to ensure that reports are accurate.
This program is a new, exclusive offering developed in partnership with the AHDPG—one of the nation’s leaders in healthcare documentation services, training, and certification. It’s a personalized approach to career training designed to help Learners get more of the information they need based on the knowledge they already have.
What you'll learn:
- Intro to Medical Scribe
- Know your way around the program and gain an understanding of the industry.
- Medical Terminology & Anatomy
- Learn basic human anatomy and pharmacology, recognize common jargon and abbreviations, and interpret medical instructions.
- EHR Guidelines
- We’ll explain the importance of clinical standards in the development of interoperable electronic health records.
To apply to the Medical Scribe by AHDPG Program at CSU Bakersfield, in partnership with CareerStep, complete the following steps:
- Navigate to the CSUB/CareerStep website
- Click the ENROLL ONLINE button
- Continue to CHECKOUT
- Fill in required fields
- Complete payment information or make payment arrangements
Need help enrolling? Call (888) 657-5752
Be at least 18 years of age
Meet one of the following requirements:
High school diploma
General Education Development (GED) Certificate
Pass the Career Step Pre-Enrollment Assessment Test
The Medical Scribe by AHDPG Program costs $3,499.
We understand that one of the biggest concerns tied to furthering your education is how to pay for it. To help, CSU Bakersfield and Career Step offer low tuition prices that provide big payoffs. We've also designed multiple tuition payment plans, allowing you to choose the funding option that best fits your needs.
We currently offer:
- A discount when you choose to pay your tuition in a single payment
- An interest-free, 3-month payment plan
- A low interest, 12-month payment plan
For more information on tuition and funding options, please contact us at (877) 225-7151.
Note: Program is not eligible for FAFSA-based financial aid.
The Medical Scribe by AHDPG Program includes the following topics / modules:
- Introduction to Medical Terminology
- Body Systems
- Diagnostics & Abbreviations
- Introduction to Anatomy & Physiology
- Cells, Tissues, and Systems
- Skeletal & Muscle Systems
- Integumentary Systems
- Nervous Systems
- Special Senses & Endocrine Systems
- Cardiovascular & Respiratory Systems
- Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Gastrointestinal System
- Urinary System
- Reproductive System
- Diagnostic Studies
- Becoming a Medical Scribe (Foundations)
- HIPAA for Medical Scribes
- Medical Language and the Patient
- Review of Systems (ROS)
- Fundamentals of Patient Visit
- Medical Decision Making
- Scribe Documentation
- Chart Guidelines for Reimbursement (ICD-10)
- Basic Medication Review
- Common Lab & Diagnostic Studies
- Electronic Health Record (EHR)
- Charting - Case Studies (Hands-on activities)
- Final Exam
The Medical Scribe by AHDPG Programis completely online and provided by our partner, CareerStep. Once you are registered with CareerStep, your password and access information will be emailed to you. Through the CareerStep portal you will have access to:
- Homework assignments
- Quizzes / tests
- Technical support
- Discussion boards
- One-on-one help from instructors
- Additional resources