Become a Certified HVACR Technician
New construction is fueling the industry, which means demand for trained HVAC/R technicians is on the rise. If you have at least one year of HVAC/R work experience and want to advance your career, getting certified will unlock new job opportunities and higher earning potential. This online course will prepare you to earn NATE or HVAC Excellence certification in under 12 months. You’ll master core skills like accurate measurement and conversions, heat carrying capacity, condensation and vaporization, and air weight and value. By course completion, you will be fully prepared to sit for the HVAC Excellence Core and Professional Technician exams, the NATE Core and Specialty Test exams, and the EPA 608 certification exam.
What you will learn:
- Prepare for the HVAC Excellence Core and Professional Technician certifications exams, the NATE Core and Specialty Test certification exams, and the EPA 608 certification exam. (Exam voucher package included in cost is for HVAC Excellence exam)
- Understand basic components of the vapor-compression and refrigeration cycles, functions, and characteristics of system refrigerants, piping operations
- Learn proper installation and operation of HVAC systems
- Understand EPA laws related to safe handling and transport of refrigerants and proper recovery, recycling, and retrofitting of refrigerants
To apply to the HVAC/R Certified Technician program at CSU Bakersfield, in partnership with CareerStep, complete the following steps:
- Navigate to the CSUB/Ed2go website
- Click the ENROLL ONLINE button
- Continue to CHECKOUT
- Fill in required fields
- Complete payment information or make payment arrangements
Need help enrolling? Call (855) 520-6806
Be at least 18 years of age
Meet one of the following requirements:
High school diploma
General Education Development (GED) Certificate
The HVAC/R Certified Technician Program costs $2,895.
We understand that one of the biggest concerns tied to furthering your education is how to pay for it. To help, CSU Bakersfield and Career Step offer low tuition prices that provide big payoffs. We've also designed multiple tuition payment plans, allowing you to choose the funding option that best fits your needs.
We currently offer:
- A discount when you choose to pay your tuition in a single payment
- An interest-free, 3-month payment plan
- A low interest, 12-month payment plan
For more information on tuition and funding options, please contact us at (855) 520-6806.
Note: Program is not eligible for FAFSA-based financial aid.
SAFETY, TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT, AND SHOP PRACTICES
Learn general safety practices as well as how to care for and use all the tools you will come across on the job.
Understand automatic control components and applications including troubleshooting for basic through more advanced systems.
Gain a full understanding of electric motors including types, applications, controls, and troubleshooting techniques.
Learn the ins and outs of commercial refrigeration components including evaporators, condensers, compressors, expansion devices, ice machines, special applications and systems, and more.
Understand comfort and psychometrics, air distribution and balance, installation, energy auditing, common conditions, troubleshooting techniques, and more.
Learn about the heat gains and losses that occur in various structures as well as detailed information on both air source and geothermal heat pumps.
Get detailed information on domestic appliances including refrigerators, freezers, and air conditioners.
COMMERCIAL AIR-CONDITIONING AND CHILLED-WATER SYSTEMS
Learn the ins and out of cooling towers, pumps, and chilled-water systems including operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting for commercial, packaged rooftop, variable refrigerant flow, and variable air volume systems.
SIMULATION CHALLENGE MODE: HVAC
SIMULATION CHALLENGE MODE: ELECTRICITY FOR HVAC
The HVAC/R Certified Technician program is completely online and provided by our partner, Ed2go. Once you are registered with Ed2go, your password and access information will be emailed to you. Through the CareerStep portal you will have access to:
- Homework assignments
- Quizzes / tests
- Technical support
- Discussion boards
- One-on-one help from instructors
- Additional resources