Become a Certified Child Development Associate (CDA)
Childcare professionals play a vital role in early childhood development. This 100% online course offered through CSU Bakersfield Extended Education will train you for a career in child development and help you earn the Council of Professional Recognition's CDA certification. Key topics include procedures and strategies for creating a safe and enriching childcare environment.
What you will learn:
- After finishing this course, you will have completed a self-study CDA certificate that meets the 120 clock hours of professional development required by the Council for Professional Recognition in order to obtain the National CDA Credential.
- Understand development stages for infants, toddlers and preschool-aged children
- Gain the ability to establish positive and productive relationships with school personnel, families and child students
- Know how to effectively manage a childcare facility and know standard procedures and strategies needed to provide a safe and enriching childcare environment
To apply to the Child Development Associate Training program at CSU Bakersfield, in partnership with CareerStep, complete the following steps:
- Navigate to the CSUB/Ed2go website
- Click the ENROLL ONLINE button
- Continue to CHECKOUT
- Fill in required fields
- Complete payment information or make payment arrangements
Need help enrolling? Call (855) 520-6806
Be at least 18 years of age
Meet one of the following requirements:
High school diploma
General Education Development (GED) Certificate
The Child Development Associate Training Program costs $975.
We understand that one of the biggest concerns tied to furthering your education is how to pay for it. To help, CSU Bakersfield and Career Step offer low tuition prices that provide big payoffs. We've also designed multiple tuition payment plans, allowing you to choose the funding option that best fits your needs.
We currently offer:
- A discount when you choose to pay your tuition in a single payment
- An interest-free, 3-month payment plan
- A low interest, 12-month payment plan
For more information on tuition and funding options, please contact us at (855) 520-6806.
Note: Program is not eligible for FAFSA-based financial aid.
Childcare and Education I
Business aspects of childcare facilities; personnel techniques and procedures
Childcare and Education II
Establishing positive relationships with parents and families; providing a safe and secure childcare environment
Childcare and Education III
Development stages for infants, toddlers, and pre-school age children; effective techniques for fostering positive self esteem
Childcare and Education IV
Early childhood academic and enrichment activities; managing behaviors, resolving conflicts
The Child Development Associate Training program is completely online and provided by our partner, Ed2go. Once you are registered with Ed2go, your password and access information will be emailed to you. Through the CareerStep portal you will have access to:
- Homework assignments
- Quizzes / tests
- Technical support
- Discussion boards
- One-on-one help from instructors
- Additional resources
Frequently Asked Questions
Childcare professionals ensure the welfare, health and safety of children under their care. Other common childcare job titles include:
- Childcare Worker
- Childcare Professional
- Daycare Worker
- Child Development Specialist
- Child Development Center Assistant
Most work is completed in childcare centers, however some roles, like in-home daycare providers, will work at their own home or their clients' homes.
The CDA is a nationally-recognized credential that demonstrates a childcare professional’s skills, competencies and knowledge. According to the Council for Professional Recognition, CDAs are able to “nurture the emotional, physical, intellectual, and social development of children.”
Earning a Child Development Associate credential can be a steppingstone to career advancement in the early childhood education field. Many CDAs go on to work in education as preschool or elementary school teachers.